Jan 23, 2009

Jicama Juice


Juicin' Jones' New Favorite
I love munching on crunchy jicama sticks while working on set and they are extra yummy in my salad. When my shoots have a bigger budget, I can sneak in the request to the caterer. I crunch crunch all day and it satisfies my thirst (it's the desert, man) and my crunch factor. So I set out for the Latino supermercado to find some to juice, and it is really yummy! Hubby even likes it. 

The root vegetable Jicama (pronounced “HEE-ka-ma”) has a flavor similar to that of water chestnut. Jicama is rich n beta-carotene, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, iron and potassium.  Select jicama that is firm and heavy for its size. Overly large or shriveled jicama is likely to be woody and tough. Jicama can be stored whole and unwrapped in the refrigerator for several weeks but storing it in plastic accelerates mold growth. Once it is cut it is best to use within a day or two. It can be used in salads or peeled, sliced and served with dips. In Latin America it is common to serve jicama with a squeeze of lemon or lime and a dash of salt. Jicama can be juiced, grated into salador grated to the size of rice grains and used as a rice replacement.

Jicama juice is mild, thick and creamy, like potato juice. It is best not to peel jicama before adding it to your juicer, since it has best nutrients contained near the skin even after the skin has been pulped away.

Simply wash them properly, slice and feed them into the juicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment